NetID+ has become a requirement in 2018 for the UA campus community to provide more protection for your data and the University network!
What is NetID+?
NetID+ is two-step authentication. When you log into a campus service with your NetID and password, you then confirm your identity with an app or a call or a code or a token device.
When is it expanding?
UA service logins require NetID+:
- As of Spring 2018 - all UA faculty, staff, DCCs, and retirees
- As of October 8, 2018 - all current UA students
Where will I need NetID+?
In the past, NetID+ was associated with certain services, like VPN or Office 365. With the requirement expansion, all UA services you log into will require two-step authentication.
- Some instructional services will be not be included until December 14, 2018, in order to consider the needs of faculty using classroom computers in multiple locations.
You can continue to use the Remember me for 30 days checkbox on each machine and browser you use to minimize the number of times you need to use the second step.
Why is NetID+ being added to logins?
Higher education data breaches doubled in first half of 2017:
- Lost, stolen or compromised records were up 164% in the first six months of 2017 compared to 2016.
- The number of breaches in the education sector more than doubled in the same period, jumping 103%. (—Campus Technology Magazine)
In 2017, University of Arizona employees were phished for their UA NetIDs and passwords and then had their paychecks diverted. Using NetID+ puts an extra layer of security on NetID accounts in the case of these kinds of breaches.
We make it easy! Sign up with as many devices as you can to give yourself options. See the NetID+ Options flyer.
Sign up or manage your account: netid-plus.arizona.edu
Depending on the devices you sign up with, after you log in to a service with your NetID and password, you can:
- Click an app. Install the Duo app on your smartphone or tablet. When you are logging in, you'll get a notification to open Duo and click a green Accept button.
- Enter a code. Get a list of codes texted to you, or print a list of codes from the NetID+ website and keep it handy.
- Use a Yubikey USB device. Plug it in to your computer and tap it to automatically fill in a passcode.
- Get a phone call on an enrolled smartphone, cell phone, or landline. Answer the phone call and press 1 to be logged in.
Learn more about signing up for and using the different device options.
See the Open Forum video to learn about NetID+, how to enroll, and tips and tricks.
If you have questions about the NetID+ expansion, contact email@example.com.
If you need assistance with setting up or using your NetID+ account:
- Contact your local IT staff
- Call the 24/7 IT Support Center at (520) 626-TECH (8324) or visit MLK building room 203.
- Consultants in OSCR computer labs can help you with NetID+.