Instant Messaging Account (Lync/Skype) Migration This Friday Evening
This Friday evening, June 23, UITS is instituting changes associated with the migration from the UAConnect faculty/staff email and calendaring system to UAConnect365, including the migration of all campus instant messaging (IM) accounts. The changes will be implemented Friday evening, and will be in effect as of Saturday morning.
Following are the recommendations for changes you might see associated with the IM migration.
If you use persistent chat, copy and save your conversation. IM in UAConnect365 does not support persistent chat.
You may need to re-log in to Skype for Business, or you may not see any change at all and continue using your Skype as usual. When you do log in:
- If you see the Skype sign-in window, use <netid>@email.arizona.edu as your sign-in address.
- If the Skype sign-in window also has your domain, use <netid>@email.arizona.edu as your domain. Do not use the catnet\<netid> domain.
- When you see the UA sign-in window, sign in with your NetID and password. (You must have a NetID password created/changed after March 6, 2017.)
- Authenticate with NetID+, if prompted to. (You must have NetID+ enabled.)
- You will not be able to use the usual “Remember me for 30 days” checkbox, but Skype will remember your NetID+ login.
- If you receive a certificate warning, check the Always trust box and click Connect.
If you are on a Mac and use Lync software to IM, you will need to install Skype for Business on Mac to use instead. Lync is not able to work with login with NetID+, nor with an app password.
- Skype for Business on Mac is available for download inside Office 365 (portal.office.com) under Other installs in the upper right corner.
- After installing and launching Skype for Business on Mac, follow the instructions above to sign in.
If you use the Skype for Business mobile app, you will need to use <netid>@email.arizona.edu as your sign-in address, and you will need to have a new NetID password and NetID+, as above.
- You may need to go into Advanced options > HTTP Proxy and enter <netid>@email.arizona.edu as your Domain.
- You may get a redirect window to mail.catnet.arizona.edu. It does not matter whether you tap Continue or Cancel.
If you wish to use IM online, your mailbox must have been migrated to UAConnect365. Once you are migrated you will now be able to access Skype inside Office 365 (portal.office.com), inside the Mail tile. Click the Skype icon on the top menu bar on the right.
Support and How-To's:
See step-by-step instructions at Getting Started with Skype for Business.
Ask your departmental IT staff for assistance, or see the 24/7 IT Support Center, (520) 626-TECH (8324).