Email Change on Employee Separation
Access to email and Office 365 for employees and DCCs separating from the University has changed.
As of July 1, 2021:
- Retirees are allowed a 60-day grace period of access to their work email and Office 365 content.
- During the grace period, retirees may opt in using account.arizona.edu to keep a University email address, although the email will use the University’s CatMail service (Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals).
- Existing retirees get a 60-day grace period starting July 1, and will lose their University email address if they haven’t opted in by August 29. NOTE: This has been extended to September 30.
- Retirees who have been University students will automatically have their University email re-routed to CatMail. We recommend you check this at account.arizona.edu to ensure delivery.
- All other employees/DCCs separating from the University lose access to Outlook email/Office 365 immediately.
- Any employee/DCC/retiree separating from the University who is a current or former student will automatically have their email address rerouted to CatMail.
- If you were a student before NetIDs, get a University Google account at account.arizona.edu while you are still actively affiliated to ensure you keep email service.
- Retiring faculty who have applied for Emeritus status and have an application delay should discuss wiith their department getting DCC status to ensure continued access to work email and Office 365 content.
These changes are being implemented to:
- Better align University email practices with business and security best practices.
- Continue providing University email service to the 28% of retirees who use it.
- Reduce the financial and overhead costs of maintaining unused accounts.
Employees and DCCs are provided with work email and Office 365 accounts to conduct business on behalf of the University. Best practices include:
- Not using work email for personal email. As a State institution, the University is subject to FOIA and discovery processes.
- Storing work that your team needs to access in a team space.
Information and Support
See Preparing to Offboard – Microsoft for how-to’s to save any personal or research content or share work content with colleagues before you lose access to faculty/staff email and Office 365.
Contact the 24/7 Support Center with email questions or support needs:
- Call (520) 626-TECH (8324)
- Chat support.arizona.edu