Using the Website - for Sympa List Owners
Following is a guide to the functions available to list Owners in the Sympa Admin interface. Additional information is available in Sympa's Owner and Moderator guide.
To reach the Admin interface:
Log in at https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/. From the list of your lists in the left menu:
- Click on the Admin button next to the list name you want to administer OR
- Click on the list name in the left menu and then click on the Admin link in the left menu
The home page for a list's Admin interface has a series of tabs across the top, and the same functions are listed as links below. Below the list are “drastic operations” for removing, renaming, or closing a list.
Following are the functions that can be performed under each tab section. The most commonly used Owner functions will be found under Edit List Config, Customizing, and Manage Subscribers.
Edit List Config
- List Definition. Here you can set:
- The Owners and Moderators of the list. Privileged Owners are Owners who can manage Subscribers and other Owners. Normal Owners can only manage Subscribers.
- Whether the list appears to everyone on the main list.arizona.edu page, under what category, and the definition of the list.
- Sending/Receiving Setup. Here you can set:
- Who can send to the list and whether messages are moderated
- Whether messages are delivered in a digest instead of individually, and how frequently
- Whether attachments are included by default or are stored with a URL*
- Whether replies to a message go to the list, the sender, or other
- Whether the list has a subject tag to assist subscribers with sorting email
- Privileges. Here you can set:
- Who can see the list information
- Who can subscribe and unsubscribe, and how
- Who can invite people to the list
- Who can see the Subscriber list
- Who can view and edit shared documents
- Archives. Here you can set:
- Who can view archives
- How many months of archives to keep stored. The email list archive quota is 150 MB. Limiting the number of months stored is not retroactive. If setting a limit after nearing or going over quota, use Manage Archives, described below, to remove excess stored archives.
- Bounce Management. Here you can set:
- Notification for Owners when messages to a Subscriber's email address continually bounces
- Miscellaneous. Here you can find the information on when the list was created and last updated, and by whom. You can also set:
- Periodical expiration, requiring Subscribers to re-subscribe, for example, annually
- Periodical subscription reminders, that go to the list on a regular basis
*The reception mode urlize, under Subscription Profile in Sending/Receiving Setup, means that the default behavior of the list—from the time urlize is set as the reception mode forward—is to not include attachments in emails distributed to the list. Instead, the system uploads any attachment to a central file storage site and creates a URL (web address) that links to the attachment. The system then attaches a .txt file which contains a link to the attachment. This text file may appear at the bottom of your email or as an attachment. This setting is the default for all new subscribers. Individual subscribers who wish to change from urlize to standard reception or vice versa can log in and change their Receiving Mode under Subscriber Options.
Here you can edit the email messages and files associated with your list:
- List description
- Welcome message
- Rejection message
- Remind message
- Subscribing invitation message
- Message header and footer
- Unsubscribe message
- Delete message
Here you can add to or delete from your Subscriber List, either individually or in batches. When the Quiet Checkbox next to the Add and Delete buttons is checked, no email will go out to those individuals telling them they have been added or deleted. If the box is unchecked, the Addition or Deletion message will go to those individuals.
Any operation requested by a user with an address listed in the blacklist file is rejected.
Here you can download and/or delete archive files.
Email List archives have a limit of 150MB. List owners will receive a message when the list archive reaches 95% of the quota. At this time, owners should log into the web interface and delete or download some of the archived material under Manage Archives.
Owners may also change their settings to automate deletions by going under Edit List Config > Archives and setting the maximum number of months the archive should maintain. Archived material older than the maximum number of months will be deleted once a new month begins. If you have already received a quota message, you must delete excess archived material yourself. After you have brought your archive size down, you can set up the automatic deletion after your determined number of months.
Note that the Email List archives and the Email List attachment store have separate quotas.
Here you can view and manage email addresses that are bouncing.
Here you can review messages and activity that have taken place in list administration.