UITS and Client Responsibillities
- Databases hosted by UITS will run on servers operated by UITS.
- UITS houses all servers in a physically secure, temperature-regulated environment.
- UITS provides uninterrupted power to the database servers. Power at the Computer Center facility includes dual feeds from separate city power grids and a standby diesel-powered generator.
- UITS provides firewall protection for database servers. The default behavior is to block all traffic. The client must inform UITS of the ports that need to be opened and the services that run on the ports.
- UITS monitors all database servers 24/7 for both continuous operation and overall database performance and availability. UITS provides continuous on-call coverage by qualified database administrators.
- UITS performs server-wide administration tasks which are unavailable to individual users. Examples of such tasks include:
- Creation of new databases
- Resizing, moving, or additional allocation of database files
- Backup and restore operations
- Managing database server logins (creation, decommissioning, modification)
- Killing database connections
- Resetting forgotten passwords for SQL-authenticated login accounts
- Setting up connectivity to remote database servers (e.g., ODBC/JDBC, linked servers, etc.)
- Creating and configuring scheduled tasks
- UITS provides a parallel test environment when pending upgrades to the production environment may create incompatibility issues with the database. Assistance will be provided to resolve issues that may result from the upgrade.
- UITS will provide backups of hosted databases with the option of restoring to a point-in-time backup of the most recent 24-hour period within a 2 to 6 hour window. Database backup files are retained in accordance with the Platinum Tier backup guidelines.
The department will be responsible for coordinating all work activities and must give the UITS DBA Group 48 hours notice of their involvement. Please complete a Campus Service Request form. A UA NetID and password are required to access the form.
Benefits: Professional database management solutions on a cost recovery basis.