Sympa Email Command Overview
One way to manage your email list subscriptions is to send commands by email to the mailing list manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To send a command to the email list server, do as follows:
- If you send a single command, type it into the subject line of your email and leave its body blank.
- If you send several commands, leave the subject line of your email blank and type all the commands in the email body.
- Write every command on a new line.
- Send your message in plain text, not in HTML (no formatting).
- Delete anything other than commands to the server (e.g., no signature block).
A description of all the commands you can send to Sympa is available below.
Subscribing to a mailing list is very simple:
- Choose the address with which you want to subscribe to the list. When using the address that is listed as your official university address, you will be able to log in to the Email Lists website with your NetID and password. If you use a different address, you will have to create a separate login to manage subscriptions for that address on the website.
- Send a message to email@example.com from the address you want to subscribe to the list.
- In the subject line of your message, type in: subscribe listname Firstname Lastname (replace listname with the name of the list you want to subscribe to and indicate your own first name and name).
- Leave the message body blank. Or leave the subject line of the message blank and put the subscribe and other commands in the body of the message, as described above.
After this, you will receive a message telling you whether your request was accepted or not: if the subscription to the list is subject to any approval, the list owner may choose not to subscribe you. You can send a message directly to the list owner (firstname.lastname@example.org) to explain why you really want to subscribe to the list.
Note: you will sometimes be asked to confirm your subscription request before it can be processed. If so, please follow the instructions contained in the message you receive.
According to the type of list (list with subscription subject to conditions or not) and to the availability of the list owner, you may not receive the notice immediately. Do not send multiple requests.
If your request is accepted, the message you receive confirms your subscription to the list. This message (the list Charter) contains several pieces of essential information:
- Your list password. This password is the same for all the lists you subscribed to with a single email address. You can change it online after logging on to the mailing list environment;
- Detailed information about the list: its purpose, the Internet address at which the message archive is available, etc.
You should keep your subscription notice: you may need it later to remember your password or to send a precise command to Sympa (example: signoff command). More generally, we advise you to keep all your subscription notices to mailing lists.
List of the commands of the Sympa mail interface
All commands are to be sent at email@example.com.
It is possible to send several commands in a single message. Commands are to be entered in the message body (one command per line).
Commands for users
HELP: receive a list of all available commands
LISTS: receive a list of all lists managed on the server
WHICH: receive a list of all lists to which you are subscribed
CONFIRM key: confirm sending of a message (according to the way the list is configured)
QUIT: indicates the end of the commands (used to ignore a signature)
INFO list: get information about the list
REVIEW list: receive a list of all list members
SUBSCRIBE list name: subscription (or subscription confirmation) to the list
INVITE list email: invite someone to subscribe to the list
UNSUBSCRIBE list email: unsubscribe from the list. The email address is required only if you want to unsubscribe with an address other than the address with which you send the message
UNSUBSCRIBE * email: unsubscribe from all the lists to which you are subscribed
SET list NOMAIL: suspend receipt of the list's messages
SET list DIGEST: receive messages in digest mode
SET list DIGESTPLAIN: receive messages in digest mode (plain text)
SET list SUMMARY: only receive the message list
SET list NOTICE: only receive the message subjects
SET list MAIL: normal message delivery mode
SET list CONCEAL: become unlisted (hidden subscriber address)
SET list NOCONCEAL: subscriber address visible via REView
INDEX list: receive the list of the archive files
GET list file: receive a file of the list archive
LAST list: receive the list's most recent message
Commands for list owners
ADD list email name: add a member to the list
DEL list email: remove a subscriber from the list
STATS list: check the statistics for the list
REMIND list: send to all subscribers a personalized reminder with the address with which he/she is subscribed to the list
Commands for list moderators
DISTRIBUTE list key: approve of a message
REJECT list key: reject a message to be moderated
MODINDEX list: check the list of messages to be moderated