Recording Retention with Zoom and Panopto
The University has implemented the following updates to both Zoom and Panopto. Please, send any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zoom Recording Retention
The University's Zoom recording retention duration is set at 130 days. This means that all Zoom recordings saved to the Cloud will remain in Zoom’s cloud storage for 130 days after the original recording date. Each recording will be deleted once it reaches this mark. To avoid losing recordings, be sure to plan to move your recordings to an appropriate repository prior to the 130 day expiration. Please, see below for instructions on archiving Zoom recordings to your Panopto account, a campus repository for Teaching and Learning assets.
Panopto Integration with Zoom
Currently, all Zoom recordings automatically move into a preset folder in your personal Panopto “My Folder”. This occurs after the recording has been processed to Zoom’s Cloud storage space. Once the recording uploads, you will see a “Meeting recordings” folder in your Panopto My Folder. The following are instructions for getting into Panopto and reaching your recordings folder.
- If you use D2L, the easiest way to get to Panopto is through the UA Tools menu from your D2L course site.
- If you do not presently use Panopto through your D2L course site, create your profile by logging in to: https://arizona.hosted.panopto.com/ with an active NetID and password.
Finding your Meeting Recordings:
- Once in Panopto, if you have not changed your default Zoom recordings folder, go to your my Folder through the left side navigation then click the “Meeting Recordings” folder.
- If you created your Panopto profile recently, remember, the Meeting Recordings folder will not appear until after your first Zoom recording has been fully uploaded to the Zoom Cloud repository.
Specifying Zoom Recording Folders in Panopto:
- Panopto allows you to change the default folder for your Zoom recordings. Once logged into Panopto, click your name in the top-right corner and choose “User Settings”.
- Scroll to the Zoom Recording section of the profile editor and click “Edit” to change the folder for all Zoom recordings. Make sure to click Save after selecting the new folder location.
- To guide recordings from specific meetings, click the “Add New” link in the Meeting Mappings. Area of the profile editor.
- Enter the meeting ID for the meeting you wish to move to a specified folder, then choose the folder and click Save.
- Example use-case: Recurring meetings carry the same ID. If you have a weekly meeting set to record, providing a specific repository here will ensure each recurrence recording will land in the specified folder.