Installing Software from Office 365
Microsoft Office software can be downloaded from the Office 365 portal onto a Mac or Windows machine. You may download software on up to five laptops/computers, and download apps onto up to five mobile devices and use it as long as you are affiliated with the university. (See "When You Leave the University," below.)
You will need admin rights on your computer to install software.
If you already have Microsoft software on your computer, see the advice below to avoid issues with:
- Older versions of Office
- Access 2013
- Project 2016 or Vision 2016
Follow the instructions from Microsoft to install the software.
Existing software on your computer can cause conflicts when you download new versions from the Office 365 portal. Follow this advice to avoid known issues.
Older versions of Office
For best results, uninstall older versions of Office before installing Office 2016 from the Office 365 portal.
Use Microsoft's instructions for
If you use Access 2013, check with your database administrator whether Access can be upgraded to 2016 without causing issues for you.
- If you need to continue to use Access 2013, instead of a full Uninstall of Office 2013, do a Change.
- Go to Control Panel and click Uninstall a Program or Programs and Features
- Select Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 and click Change
- Select Add or Remove Features and click Continue
- Change every drop-down to Not Available except for Microsoft Access, Office Shared Features & Office Tools
Project 2016 and Visio 2016 have conflicts with Office 2016 installed from the Office 365 portal.
- If you install Office 2016 from the portal, and then later want to install Project 2016 and/or Visio 2016 from the BookStores site, you will not be able to do so.
- You can ask your IT staff to employ the Microsoft Office Deployment Tool for installing Project/Visio 2016. Microsoft information about ODT.
- If you already have Project 2016 and/or Viso 2016 and decide to install Office 2016 from the Office 365 portal, you will need to uninstall Project/Visio 2016 first
When You Leave the University
Retirees continue to be able to use Office 365 software. For other employees who leave, and students who leave or graduate:
If you used your UA Office 365 account to install Office on your computer, you will lose full functionality. Microsoft validates your downloaded software every 30 days. When you are no longer able to validate your software as an active member of the campus community, it will go into “reduced functionality mode”:
- You can only view or print your documents.
- All features for editing or creating new documents are disabled.
- You will see a message that asks you to enter a product key or add your computer to an active Office 365 account.
Options for you to continue to be able to work with your documents include:
- Joining another institution or business that provides Office 365 accounts. Just enter your new login credentials.
- Purchasing a Personal Office 365 account from Microsoft and entering your new login credentials: https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-personal
- Uploading your documents to a Google account (students will retain CatMail accounts), where you can work on them online.