Getting Started with Server Administration
UITS Infrastructure Services offers administration of a Windows or Linux server that is housed in a UITS facility. UITS provides server administration for Windows or Red Hat operating systems only. Departments will be required to purchase UITS backup and monitoring services. Competent, qualified members of the UITS Systems Support Group will perform system administration activities, including the following:
- Installation of upgrades to operating system, including scheduling the timely application of critical and non-critical service packs and patches and new versions of operating systems for supported platforms.
- Rebuilding of the operating system and restoration of data in the event of hardware failure or security breach. If a security breach has been determined, then assistance from the Information Security Office will be required.
- Backup and restoration of the operating system as required.
- Installation, maintenance, and administration of anti-virus (Windows only) and backup software on the server.
- Monitoring of system utilization, performance, and availability. Notification of client regarding issues affecting performance.
- Backup services as contracted by client.
- Assisting with the installation of application software. Client must provide application software with license keys, including CALS necessary for implementing some applications on Microsoft servers. The department is responsible for all application support and coordination of vendor support.
- If the applications are changed or added by the department without UITS approval, then this action will render the Service Level Agreement null and void. Terminating the SLA immediately voids the 30 day cancellation clause.
- UITS services do not include enhancement, expansion, upgrade, replacement, etc. of server hardware and software with the exception of virtual servers provisioned by UITS.
Software licenses for operating system and applications must be provided to UITS. Server must be under maintenance or vendor warranty (UITS will not replace parts).