Emailing to Groups or Lists
Which is the Right Tool for You?
There are several options for creating email lists. See which one is the right fit for your needs.
Using Contacts Within Email Client
You can create your own lists inside your Contacts in CatMail, Outlook (UAConnect), or other email application.
- The list is yours alone, and other people would have to recreate the list in their own Contacts.
- There may be limits to the number of people you can send to.
University Email List (Sympa)
The University Email List service uses Sympa software so that faculty, staff, or graduate assistants can manage lists for University academic, administrative, or official student club business.
- Your list address will be email@example.com
- Approval of newly created lists will occur in 1-2 business days
- Lists can be managed by one or more Owners through a web interface
- Automatically updating class lists can be easily created immediately with a single email command, no waiting
- People can self-subscribe or unsubscribe through an email command if you allow it for the list
- Other options are available, such as for moderated postings or receiving posts in digests
Departmental Account Within UAConnect
Within UAConnect, you can request a Departmental Account in order to have an account multiple people have access to.
- A Departmental Account must begin with the departmental abbreviation code (list of departmental abbreviations)
- The account must be renewed annually
- The account has a centrally accessible folder and subfolders, Calendar, and Task lists that can be checked and used by multiple people
- You can Send As or Send on Behalf of the departmental account
Distribution Group Within UAConnect
Departments can also create a Distribution Group.
Distribution Groups are visible to all users checking the Global Address List in UAConnect. They cannot be hidden.
Support or Assistance
For further information on email options or for assistance with any of these, contact the 24/7 IT Support Center at (520) 626-TECH (8324).