UITS offers encryption for UAConnect email using the Cisco Registered Envelope Service (CRES). Encryption offers UAConnect account holders an extra layer of security when they are sending email containing important or confidential information. With encryption, only the intended recipient of a message will be able to read its contents, preserving the integrity of the message and protecting the confidential information within it.
If the UAConnect account holder is sending to another UAConnect address using an Exchange email system, the system WILL NOT encrypt—even if the account holder uses the command to encrypt.
- Exchange email systems including Outlook, OWA, or UAConnect on a mobile device.
If the UAConnect account holder uses the command to encrypt, the system WILL encrypt if:
- The account holder is sending to another UAConnect address using an IMAP email client (such as Thunderbird)
- The account holder is sending to an address outside of UAConnect
- Addresses outside UAConnect include CatMail, UA departments using their own mail servers, and addresses outside the arizona.edu domain.
UAConnect email users (faculty and staff)
There is no cost for this service.
- Protects faculty, staff, and entities doing business with the University of Arizona
- Helps guarantee the identity of the recipient in addition to ensuring the confidentiality of the email
- Helps prevent eavesdropping by unintended recipients
- Cisco Registered Envelope Service authenticates the recipient and provides a key to open the email the recipient received
- Cisco does not receive or see any of the information contained in the email transmitted
- Authorized recipients register themselves and set up a password to use when receiving encrypted email
To Send an Encrypted Email
UAConnect account holders can encrypt an email by typing [encrypt] or [secure] in brackets in the subject line of the email. These commands are case sensitive. When the UAConnect email system sees the command, it will automatically encrypt the email for all addresses outside the UAConnect system.
If the recipient of the encrypted email replies to it, the response will also be encrypted, and the original UAConnect sender will need to follow the steps to create an account and retrieve the reply from the Cisco’s Registered Email Service website. To review and manage encrypted email that you have received or replied to via CRES, log in at https://res.cisco.com with the Cisco RES login you created and go to Manage Messages.
For Recipients of Encrypted Email
The recipient will see an email with an indication in the Subject line that the email has been encrypted, and the email message will explain that the recipient must go to the Cisco Registered Email Service website to retrieve the message.
- First-time visitors to CRES will need to register to create a login and password to use the site (this will not be UA NetID and password).
- Returning visitors will use the login and password created previously.
- Instructions on How to Register at CRES to Read an Encrypted Email
- Instructions on How to Register at CRES to Read an Encrypted Email on a Mobile Device
Contact the 24/7 IT Support Center at (520) 626-TECH (8324).