Creating an Email List
Email lists can be created by faculty, staff, and graduate assistants for academic, administrative, or official student club business.
For Instructors or TAs wanting to create an auto-populated email list for a course section, see the Creating a Class Email List documentation.
For anyone wanting to create an auto-populated list other than a class list (e.g., all employees within a certain department number), contact the 24/7 IT Support Center at 626-TECH (8324).
For Other Lists
- Begin by logging in at https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/ with the email address you want to use as an Owner of the list.
- Using your UA NetID and password to log in will automatically mean you are using your official UA email address and not a different alias or outside address. (See more information at the Using the Email List Website documentation about logging in and addresses.)
- Click the Create List tab.
- Pick a name for your list. This is the username that will go in front of the @list.arizona.edu in the address (email@example.com). It must be at least 3 characters long.
- Pick an existing list or a template for the initial list setup. Individual settings can be changed later.
- If you already have a list with the same settings you want for a new list, you can use that list as the template. Only the settings will be copied, not the Owners, Subscribers, or any content.
- There are seven pre-made templates to choose from. Choose the one that most closely matches the kind of list you want to create; you can customize the settings after it's created.
- Provide a subject that the list is about.
- Choose a topic that the list should be categorized under.
- Administrative: these lists are used in pursuing the business or administrative functions of departments.
- Courses: these are auto-populated email lists for a course section and are not created via the web interface.
- Professional Groups: these lists are used in facilitating communication among peers for academic or administrative purposes.
- Residence Halls: these are lists for use by Residence Life.
- Student Groups: these lists are used for officially recognized student clubs (list must be created by faculty/staff sponsor).
- Other: choose this category if none of the above fit.
- Provide one or two sentences describing the list.
- Click the Submit Your Creation request button. Your list approval will occur in 1-2 business days.
Once your list is approved, you can log in again at https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/. Click the list name in the left-hand menu and click Admin to customize your list settings. More information is available at Using the Website - for List Owners documentation.
- The email list archive quota is 150 MB. Owners can automate deletions by going under Edit List Config > Archives and setting the maximum number of months the archive should maintain. You can also delete or download some of the archived material under Manage Archives.
- The attachment store quota is 150 MB. This is a separate quota from the archive.
- The size limit for an individual email is 50 MB.
Contact the 24/7 IT Support Center if you need assistance.