Creating a Class Email List
Using a simple web interface, all University of Arizona faculty, staff, and graduate assistants can create email lists that include all instructors, TAs, and students in their course sections.
How to Create
- Go to http://class.list.arizona.edu
- Log in with your UA NetID.
- Instructor or TA for the class: use See My Courses to pull up a list your courses.
- Other faculty or staff member creating the list on behalf of the instructor: use See All Courses to pull up all scheduled courses to choose from.
- Click Create List for the course section you want to create a list for.
- On the page to create the list, there is a message box.
- Enter something appropriate, such as “Welcome to the class email list for (class and semester).” The message will go to everyone on the list as an email at the time the list is created.
- If someone other than an Owner (instructor or TA) creates the list, the message will need to be released from moderation by an Owner before it goes out.
- The class list is created immediately when you click Request Email List.
- Anyone listed as an instructor or TA in Student Center information will be listed as a list Owner and will also be subscribed.
- Anyone registered for the class as a student in Student Center will be listed as a Subscriber.
- The email list will be automatically checked against the Student Center data for the class on a daily basis, and the list will be updated to match the current list.
- The format of the email address contains the department, semester, term, course number, and section.
For example, the class email list for ENGR 101, Spring 2017, section 003 would be:
Customizing the List
Owners can manually add or delete email addresses on https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/. A change made manually will persist even after auto-updates.
Class lists are set up with the following settings by default:
- Everyone on the list can post.
- Subscribers cannot see other Subscribers (recommended for FERPA compliance).
Upon request, the 24/7 IT Support Center can combine multiple sections of a class into one superlist for you. This can be convenient if you have a single class that is divided into different sections in the Schedule, or if you are teaching multiple sections of the same course and want to contact all your students at once.
First, create all your individual class lists, then go to the http://class.list.arizona.edu main page and click the Create Superlist button. Fill in which lists you would like combined and submit. The 24/7 IT Support Center will notify you when the Superlist is created.
Support or Assistance
For any questions about or help with creating or using class lists or email lists, contact the 24/7 IT Support Center at (520) 626-TECH (8324) or submit a ticket at service.arizona.edu.