Benefits of the Telephone Conferencing Service
- No fee for conferencing, just the normal cost for callers when dialing in to a 520 conference phone number
- An optional toll-free 866 number is available for $0.06 per minute per person charged to your department.
- No hidden charges, penalties, or extra fees
Easy to use
Once the conference is set up, starting the conference is simple and changes to the conference are easy to make even while it is in progress. The conference host can reach the operator by pressing * 0:
- Extend the length of the conference call
- Combine conferences
- Separate out a bad connection and reconnect the affected conferee
- Switch to broadcast mode, in which the host speaks and other conferees can only listen
- Works with any type of call, including international calls
- Can be used outside normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM), especially useful for different time zones
- If a conferee enters the incorrect conference code, or tries to enter a conference at an incorrect time, a campus operator will assist.
Great voice quality and reliability
- The hardware is part of the UA's 5ESS telephone switch.
- Voice quality equal to or better than a standard two-party call.
- More than one person can talk at once and be heard by all members of the conference; this gives the call a more natural feel, allowing a conferee to speak and be heard without waiting for a pause in conversation.
- Automatic controls on each connection hold voice levels constant regardless of the number of conferees, so that the voice of a participant near to the conferencing equipment will not be uncomfortably loud, and conferees connected by long distance will not have to shout to be heard.
- Voice "clipping" is eliminated.
- Most extraneous sounds are eliminated by allowing connections for speech only.
- Digital echo cancellers eliminate the "talking from the bottom of the barrel" effect.