About Storage Space on the UAConnect Server
On this page:
- Default storage size
- Checking your storage space
- When you exceed your storage capacity
- Managing your storage space
Default Storage Size
12 GB of default storage.
Checking your Storage Space
- In Outlook: Click on File in the upper left corner. On the file page, your current mail box usage should show in the middle of the screen.
- In Outlook Web App: Click on the circle, or cog shape that is to the right of your name in the upper right corner. In the drop down menu that appears, choose options. On the options page, your current mail box usage should show in the middle of the screen.
When you Exceed your Storage Capacity
- 11.5 GB the user will receive an email warning that they are approaching the storage space limit
- 11.75 GB the user will be unable to send messages
- 12 GB the user will be unable to send or receive messages. They will still have access to the account in order to perform housekeeping, but the account’s mail functionality will be suspended until its volume is returned below the listed space limit.
Managing your Storage Space
Empty your Deleted Items Folder
- In Outlook 2016, right click the deleted items folder, left click Empty Folder.
- To delete individual messages in the Deleted Items folder, select the appropriate messages, right-click them, and then select Delete.
- In Outlook: from the File tab, select Options, and then click Advanced. Then, under Outlook start and exit, select Empty the Deleted Items folder when exiting Outlook.
- In Outlook Web App: Click on the circle, or cog shape that is to the right of your name in the upper right corner. In the drop down menu that appears, choose options. On the left side of the screen, choose settings. In the center area at the top, make sure mail is highlighted blue. Scroll to the bottom of the mail settings. Under message options, check the box for Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out.
Delete or ArchiveLarge Messages and Attachments
To reduce your mailbox size, delete or archive large messages and attachments.
To search for messages and attachments over a specified size:
- In Outlook 2010, from the File tab, select Cleanup Tools, and then Mailbox Cleanup.... In Outlook 2007 and 2003, from the Tools menu, choose Mailbox Cleanup....
- Click Find items larger than. You can leave the default value of 250 kilobytes or increase it to narrow your search to larger messages. (1024 kilobytes equals 1 megabyte.)
- Click Find....
- In the Advanced Find window, click View, then Arrange By, and then Size.
From your list of messages in the Advanced Find window, you can delete or archive (i.e., save to a folder on your computer) large messages and attachments.
To delete messages, right-click each message, and choose Delete. This moves the messages to your Deleted Items folder, which you must empty to reduce your overall storage.
To save an attachment to a folder on your computer:
- Double-click the message that contains the attachment.
- Right-click the attachment, and then click Save As....
- Browse to the folder where would like to save the attachment, and then click Save.
Once the attachment is saved on your computer, you can remove it from the message in your mailbox, so you can keep the message without having the attachment count against your storage:
- Right-click the attachment(s), and click Remove.
- From the message's File menu, select Save.
Alternatively, if you have personal folder files within Outlook, you can drag messages from the Advanced Find window and drop them in a personal folder file. Personal file folders are saved on your computer, and do not count against your mailbox size.
Archive Old Items
See Archiving Your Outlook Mail Folders for information on archiving.